Blogs

12 Dead in Soccer Stadium Stampede in El Salvador

May 22, 2023 | Community News

May 22, 2023

BARRIO (AP) – A stampede by fans at a quarterfinals soccer match in the Salvadoran league has left 12 people dead and injured dozens more, officials said early Sunday.

The crush happened when soccer fans pushed through one of the gates during Saturday’s game between Alianza and FAS at Monumental stadium in Cuscatlan, which is about 25 miles (41 kilometers) northeast of the capital, Salvador soccer officials said.

“El Salvador is in mourning,” said a statement from press office of Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele, which confirmed that at least 12 people had died.

Civil Protection director Luis Amaya said about 500 people had been attended and about 100 were taken to hospitals. At least two of the injured transported to hospitals were in critical condition.

“Twelve persons lost their lives and I simply would like to express, of course, my condolences to all the people of El Salvador for this tragic incident,” said FIFA President Gianni Infantino Sunday in a speech to a World Health Organization meeting in Geneva.

Play was suspended about 16 minutes into the match, when fans in the stands waving frantically began getting the attention of those on the field and carrying the injured out of a tunnel and down to the pitch.

Local television transmitted live images of the aftermath of the stampede by Alianza fans. Dozens made it onto the field where they received medical treatment. Fans who escaped the crush stood on the field furiously waving shirts attempting to review people lying on the grass barely moving.

Pedro Hernández, president of El Salvador soccer’s first division, said the preliminary information he had was that the stampede occurred because fans managed to push through a gate into the stadium.

“It was an avalanche of fans who overran the gate. Some were still under the metal in the tunnel. Others managed to make it to the stands and then to the field and were smothered,” an unidentified volunteer with the Rescue Commandos first aid group told journalists.

National Civil Police Commissioner Mauricio Arriza Chicas, at the scene of the tragedy, said there would be a criminal investigation in conjunction with the Attorney General’s Office.

“We are going to investigate from the ticket sales, the entries into the stadium, but especially the southern zone,” where, he said, the gate was pushed open.

The Salvadoran Soccer Federation said in a statement that it regretted what had happened and voiced support for the victims’ families.

Did you like this article?

Did you like this article?

0 Comments

Latest Posts

Ecuador’s Rose Industry Blooms Amid Mounting Health Concerns

High in the Andean valley of Cayambe, near La Chimba, Ecuador’s rose industry is flourishing — at a price. Once primarily dairy farmers, Patricia Catucuamba and her husband, Milton Navas, turned to rose cultivation five years ago. Like many smallholders, they say...

Shakira to Headline Free Zócalo Concert, Closing Historic Mexico Run

Shakira is set to close the Mexican leg of her Las Mujeres Ya No Lloran World Tour with a free concert at Mexico City’s iconic Zocalo on March 1 at 8 p.m., marking her return to the historic square nearly 20 years after her last performance there in 2007. In a message...

Events

Related articles